MULTI-SPINDLE DRILL HEAD WITH DIFFERENT PITCH HOLES
Drilling is the most widely used process for producing one or multiple holes in a work piece. In this article we are going to deal with the engineering design and fabrication of a multi-spindle drill head that can be used to drill holes for different pitch circle diameters.
The purpose is to minimize the production time for drilling multiple holes in a work piece for different Pitch Circle Diameters (PCD). This design employs adjustable transmission systems along with a gear arrangement. The design of the spindle head is done using the CAD/CAM software.
- Production time is greatly increased if we use general purpose machines that have single spindle drilling head.
- The total cycle time increases when general purpose machine is used since multiple operations cannot be done in the same machine.
- Since multi-spindle drill head is used in work piece the tool breakage or work piece wear and tear is common because of many holes in the work piece.
- Manufacturer’s emphasis on quality but the demand to meet the scheduled delivery is delayed due to the conventional drilling machines slow rate of productivity.
SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS
- The problem 1 can be solved by using multiple drill tools connected to the planet gears.
- The problem 2 can be rectified if we use a multi head spindle that can carry out a number of operation in a single setting.
- The problem 3 can be solved by limiting the number of holes drilled in the work piece.
- The problem 4 can be overcome and the demands to meet the delivery time can be met if multi-spindle heads are used instead of general purpose machine.