Modular coordination is a concept for coordinating dimensions and space for which building, components are positioned. Basic unit of MC is module 1M which is equal to 100mm. MC is internationally accepted by the International Standard of Organization (ISO). The introduction of MC in building facilitate proper planning, design construction and assembly of building components. The principle objective of implementation of MC is to improve productivity, more flexibility in design and construction activities.
Modular co-ordination Grid:
It is used to locate the structural components such as beam and columns.
It is used for locating the space for building components like rooms.
It is used for locating internal walls. Modular coordinated grid is used for locating the building components and the grids can be available in both horizontal and vertical planes. The grids are generated by measurement in modules.
Modular coordinated grid network defines the space available for placing the components. An important factor is that the component must always undersized to grid size for providing space for joint space. Manufactured length of unit nominal length 11 ½ inch grid size would be 12 inch because of units were designed to be placed with ½ inch joints.
In modular coordination system, in place of geometric serious, a different system of preferred dimensions is used. For larger dimensions it is represented in modules like 1M=0.1m, for smaller dimensions sub modular increments 50mm or 25mm are used.
Modular coordination system provides,
- Defining coordinating spaces for building elements and components.
- Rules for maintaining the component size while manufacturing
- Rules for selecting the component size and providing the required grid size in building.
- The MC system allows standardization in design of building components, it encourages manufacturers and assemblers to enter in open market.
- It is difficult to manufacture the component in SI unit mm tolerance. But it is easier for manufacturer to make in module tolerance system.
Advantages of Modular Coordination:
- Facilitate cooperation between building designer, manufacturer, traders, contractors.
- Improves freedom in design and permits flexibility.
- Encourages the possibility of interchanging the components.
- Simplifies positioning and placing of components
- Ensures dimensional coordination between component with the rest of the building.
- It is possible to get maximum economy in the production of components.
- Reduces the need for making special sizes.
- Increases the number of choices of components because of interchangeability.
- Improves quality and productivity of construction.
- Wastage in production and time taken for installation of components is reduced.
- It helps to achieve the responsibility in constructing the building.